Redding DUI Attorney
Aggressive Defense Against DUI Charges in California
At Prentiss Law Office, our dedicated team of legal professionals is committed to providing expert legal representation for individuals facing DUI charges in Redding, California. With years of experience and a deep understanding of California DUI laws, we are here to protect your rights and advocate for your best interests. If you face DUI charges in Redding, we have the knowledge and expertise to guide you through this challenging process.
Call Prentiss Law Office today at (530) 288-4073 or contact us online to schedule a meeting with our DUI lawyer in Redding!
California DUI Laws
California's DUI laws are designed to deter impaired driving and protect public safety. Key provisions include:
- Legal BAC limit for drivers 21 and older: 0.08%.
- Zero tolerance for drivers under 21 (any detectable alcohol is prohibited).
- Commercial drivers: Limit of 0.04%.
- By driving, you implicitly consent to chemical testing if suspected of DUI.
- Refusal may result in penalties, including license suspension.
California DUI Legal Process
Don’t let the DUI court process intimidate you. Attorney Prentiss has represented clients in Redding, Shasta County, and Northern California for almost 15 years. When you are charged with a DUI, you need to immediately put his experience, skills, and tenacious approach on your side. We can fight for you throughout all steps of the court process.
The next step is an arraignment after you have been charged with a DUI. Your license will be suspended 30 days after your arrest. Our attorney will accompany you at your arraignment, and you will plead not guilty. You mustn't go to your arraignment alone. We can ensure you understand this important first step and how to navigate it to your best advantage.
Your second court date is typically a settlement conference. When our attorney represents you, you will not have to go to court. Mr. Prentiss will do the heavy lifting on your behalf. At the settlement, he and the prosecutor will work to try to agree.
Not all DUI cases will include pre-trial motions. If yours does, we will work aggressively to get a suppression motion. This motion is designed to attack the legality of the initial traffic stop. Mr. Prentiss will work to get evidence thrown out of court.
After your pre-trial motions, we will either settle for you, or we may have to go to trial in court. No matter what happens after the pre-trial motions, you can count on our aggressive stance in fighting for your best interests and helping you achieve the most favorable result. From start to finish, we will stand by you every step of the way.
What are the Penalties for a DUI in California?
Being convicted of a DUI in California can lead to severe consequences, including fines, license suspension, and even imprisonment. The penalties for a DUI conviction can vary depending on factors such as your blood alcohol concentration (BAC), previous DUI convictions, and whether your actions resulted in injury or property damage.
For a first-time DUI offense in California, you can expect the following penalties:
- License Suspension: Your driver's license may be suspended for six months. However, you may be eligible for a restricted license, which allows you to drive to work or essential appointments with an ignition interlock device.
- Fines: You may face fines and penalties of thousands of dollars.
- Probation: You may be placed on probation, which can last for several years, during which you must follow specific terms and conditions.
- DUI School: Completing a state-approved DUI education program is mandatory for first-time offenders.
- Insurance Rates: Your insurance rates are likely to increase significantly.
For subsequent DUI convictions, the penalties become more severe, including longer license suspensions, higher fines, and mandatory jail time.
Is a DUI a Felony in California?
A DUI is typically charged as a misdemeanor in California, even for repeat offenders. However, certain circumstances can elevate a DUI to a felony, including:
- Multiple DUI Convictions: If you have multiple DUI convictions within ten years, you may be charged with a felony DUI.
- Injury or Death: If your DUI resulted in injury or death to another person, you may face felony charges, which carry much harsher penalties, including prison time.
It is essential to consult with an experienced Redding DUI attorney to evaluate your specific case and understand the potential consequences you may be facing.
Start your defense today with our DUI attorney in Redding, CA!
Sealing & Expunging a DUI in California
A DUI conviction on your record can have lasting consequences, including difficulty finding employment and housing. In some cases, you may be eligible to have your DUI conviction sealed or expunged.
Sealing a DUI record means it is hidden from public view while expunging a DUI record means it is dismissed. However, not all DUI convictions are eligible for sealing or expungement, and the process can be complex.
Defenses Against DUI Charges
Facing a DUI charge does not mean you are automatically guilty. There are several potential defenses that a skilled Redding DUI attorney can explore to protect your rights and build a strong defense strategy. Some common defenses include:
- Improper Stop: If law enforcement did not have a valid reason to stop your vehicle, evidence gathered during the stop may be inadmissible in court.
- Faulty Breathalyzer or Blood Test: Errors in BAC testing equipment or procedures can lead to inaccurate results.
- Rising BAC: It is possible that your BAC was below the legal limit while driving but increased by the time you were tested. This can be a viable defense.
- Illegal Search and Seizure: Evidence obtained through an unlawful search or seizure may be excluded from your case.
- Medical Conditions: Certain medical conditions or medications can mimic the symptoms of intoxication, leading to false DUI arrests.
If you face DUI charges in Redding, California, the consequences can be severe, but you do not have to navigate this complex legal process alone. At Prentiss Law Office, our Redding DUI lawyers are committed to protecting your rights and providing the representation you need to achieve the best possible outcome. Your freedom and future are too important to leave to chance, so trust the experienced professionals at Prentiss Law Office to fight for you.
Contact Prentiss Law Office today to schedule a consultation with our DUI attorney in Redding!
Former Prosecutor Who Knows Both Sides
Trusted & Respected in the Legal Community
Nearly 15 Years of Experience
Personalized Approach to Each Case